Thursday, May 15, 2008

So sue me, I took a break from blogging.

"I'm blaaaaaaaaccckkk..."

South Beach, Miami, Florida




Okay, I know it's been a while since I've blogged, but, in the words of the immortal (and hilarious) Chris Rock, "I'm Blaaaaaacckkk."






Speaking of Chris Rock, I was reminded today of Allen and my trip to Miami four years ago. In one of the most spontaneous acts I have ever entered into, my cousin and I drove (yes DROVE) from Huntsville, Alabama to Miami, Florida. That's 851 miles. It takes about 5 hours to get to my parents home in southeast Alabama; Orlando is about 7 hours from there; and I remember seeing a sign in Orlando that read something like: MIAMI 282 miles.


At the time, my life needed a bit of a kick start, so off we went. I went down there with long hair (what I had left), and returned with a shaved dome. Allen and I had some memorable moments down there.


Some of the more memorable:



  • Eating dinner the first night down there. We ate at a local Denny's; the waitress came out, flashing her gold teeth, and piercing my fluffy pancakes with her long and grimy fingernail. I almost hurled.

  • Sleeping till noon every day.

  • Watching Chris Rock's Never Scared on HBO. "Kracky Kremes" anyone?

  • Cruising the main drag in my Accord (not exactly a sportscar, but it got the job done), listening to Depeche Mode's Violator. (It was hearing a song from that album today that jogged my memory).

  • Eating more than once at Rascal's Deli. Allen ate bizarre dishes like Beet Bortsch, while I dined on Rueben's and the like. They had delicious pies with 6 inch meringues.

  • Walking and visiting shops in South Beach. Beautiful people everywhere. Did we fit in? That's not for me to say...

  • A couple of other clandestine stops we made (all in fun).

  • Also, we made a few other stops along the way: Tallahassee, Jacksonville, St. Augustine...nice towns, all.


Feel free to add any other memories copus...

2 comments:

Major Allen Espy said...

the freebie parking and free frostie; the AU Cap; the item left at the barber; the missing pillow; the squiggly toys; asking the denny's waiter about a famous Japanese ritual

funny about the hair. your dad was thrilled. the stallion had finally been tamed! your pops still slides me cash 4 coaxing u into getting your hair cut. =) i think you look very good with it short.....

Major Allen Espy said...

let me add: 4 the time, it was a fab trip. that's was my first time in Miami...and we did it in style. I think we got to let loose and we got to vent a bit.....much needed. don't forget the St. Augustine beauts, the ones at the lovely college. hey, and how can we 4get the asian antiques dealer in SA.....remember his strategy for getting his pops attention?