Friday, March 21, 2008

Top 5 Weird Movies

Malcolm McDowell drives home the weirdness in Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange.

I like weird movies...films that push the envelope, force you outside of the box, and are, basically, downright strange. I've seen quite a few weird movies. Here are my top five. Check them out if you dare!





1. A Clockwork Orange


2. Eyes Wide Shut


3. The Machinist


4. Requiem for a Dream


5. Pulp Fiction





These are not necessarily in order. But they all have one thing in common...weirdness...okay two things...they're also damn good movies. There are other movies that I could possibly classify in the "weird" category, but I've got other places for those.





You might recognise that two of the movies, A Clockwork Orange and Eyes Wide Shut, are by the same director, Stanley Kubrick (R.I.P.) (he also did Full Metal Jacket and The Shining). The Machinist is a mind-bender starring Christian Bale and Jennifer Jason Leigh. Requiem for a Dream stars, among others, the beautiful Jennifer Connelly. Pulp Fiction is a phenomenal movie all the way around (I love Samuel L. Jackson in it: "Mmmm...That is a tasty burger.").

Have you seen any of these bizarre gems? Post a comment on them. Taanks.

2 comments:

Major Allen Espy said...

Pulp Fiction and The Machinist stand out as my favorites. I had to see PF a second time to truly appreciate it. I was glad to see Johnny T back on the screen. also, bruce willis' part in the movie was superb. "Weird" is a good way to describe these flicks. Also, Jeff, American Psycho was good. I'm not sure how it fits in with these....but it was good.

Jeffrey said...

American Psycho is a good one...just missed the cut. It would have easily made a top 10!

My favorite parts of Pulp Fiction are when Sameul L. samples Brett's burger ("Now that's a tasty burger.) and when he and JT take the dead black guy to Quentin Tarrantino's house to store him.

The Machinist is flat out one of the strangest films I've seen. Christian Bale lost a helluva lot of weight for that one. His secret? Coffee and apples.